Sunday, September 02, 2007

The El in the Mike

While thinking about the "el" at the end of Michael, which I am sure you know stands for "God" in the ancient Hebrew, I started to compile a list of other el derived names:

Ishmael
Raphael
Gabriel
Daniel
Samuel
Lemuel
Ezekiel

[or Elijah, with the el up front]


But this led me to think about other sets of names with identical endings--for instance the "ards":

Richard
Bernard
Leonard
Howard

and the "alds":

Donald
Ronald
Reginald

The Ards and the Alds seem to be British or maybe Anglo-Saxon--like the "berts"

Robert
Hubert
Egbert

But I can't really say what those other endings signify.

I just know that the el in Mike means "God." In the Arabic languages, "el" turns to "al" as in Allah. So that we can cite a lot of el or al followed-by-a-hyphen names.

What about the "elle" in Michelle, (and Estelle and Rochelle) which seems to be a feminine diminutive. Does it perhaps mean "goddess"?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Don't forget "Albert"

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment :)

1:18 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

I need to add Gerald and Gerard, and Maynard (like Menard's?)to the lists. Then a new list should include Leopold, Arnold, Harold (ancient spelling of Harald?). And I wonder if ard, ald, old , and ert are just phonemic variations of the same suffix. Google searches use the first few letters in a word, so my research seems hampered by the lack of a search engine that finds final letters in a cluster. But I think "Geraldo" may indicate that the name suffix does not relate to a specific ethnic origin.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

my name is michael and my brothers names are gabriel and raphael (they are twins)

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home