Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Musical Mike...er....Mick?


Mike proposes that we award our next Mike of Note award to a poet. I opened up the memory vaults and can't recall a noteable poet by the name of Mike, nor an "un"noteable poet by the name of Mike, for that matter. I then flipped through every page of every book of poetry I own--nada. I searched the Internet...specifically poets.org, and found a few Mikes, read a few poems which really didn't move me in any way.

So, I turn to music, and name Mick Jagger as "Mike of Note." Enjoy the poetry of
MONKEY MAN I'm a fleabit peanut monkey All my friends are junkies That's not really true
I'm a cold Italian pizza I could use a lemon squeezer What you do?
But I've been bit and I've been tossed around By every she-rat in this town Have you, babe?
Well, I am just a monkey man I'm glad you are a monkey woman too
I was bitten by a boar I was gouged and I was gored But I pulled on through
Yes, I'm a sack of broken eggs I always have an unmade bed Don't you?
Well, I hope we're not too messianic Or a trifle too satanic We love to play the blues
Well I am just a monkey man I'm glad you are a monkey, monkey womanMonkey woman too, babe!
I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey man! I'm a monkey man! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey!Monkey! monkey! monkey!.......

12 Comments:

Blogger MikeP said...

All I could find was Michael Wigglesworth, Puritan poet. Ugh!

8:17 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Sometimes GIR likes to dance like a monkey.

8:20 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

You can chek GIR's love of monkeys here: http://www.invaderzim.tv/scarymonkey.html

8:28 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Or the Simpson monkeys here:

http://www.citizenlunchbox.com/monkey/tv/simpsons.php

8:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I definitely think that our poetry critic, Laura, needs to take a look at this and comment.

2:37 PM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Does she know any monkey poems by poets named Mike?

6:42 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Laura has not responded. She must be in awe of the poetic lyricism of our beloved Mick, whose father incidentally passed this week.
I noted Papa Jagger was 84. Do you think his spy offspring will live to sing "Satisfaction" into his 8th decade?

12:33 PM  
Blogger MikeP said...

I have to copy these words from Laura, since her infromation is completely worthwhile:

"Although Mick's "poetry" is powerful -- the way a good bowel movement is -- I have to say I'm unimpressed. I would really like to see a page devoted to Mike Rutherford of Mike + the Mechanics or Michael Bolton (both REAL Mikes). Who can argue with the beauty and poignancy of M + M's "Look Across at Dreamland" --

Look across at dreamland
Can you see the light
Look in the Reflection
For something bright
Look up to the heavens
Can you see the stars?
You know you're here
But you don't know who you are.

Ah, the form, the insight. The layers of this spiritual and cosmic meditation are beyond my limited intellect. "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" has nothing on this little gem.

I will also suggest a great big page devoted to Michael Bolton. And I include His Hairiness especially for you Michelle. Although this creative wonder has spent most of his career covering mediocre songs written by others, he did, as a lad, write a stunner. During his misguided youth, Michael B. embarked on an otherwise and ultimately fruitless adventure -- and its name was BLACKJACK. He spent part of the hazy 70's rockin' it out with a few fellow metal minstrels, most notably, lead guitarist Bruce Kulick, who, as I have no doubt you already know, is a current member of ----- KISS! Most notably, during his metal heyday, Michael co wrote "Forever" with Paul Stanley. (Six degrees of KISS?)

I leave you with --

I gotta tell you what I'm feelin' inside
I could lie to myself, but it's true
There's no denying when I look in your eyes,
Girl I'm out of my head over you
And I lived so long believin' all love is blind
But everything about you is tellin' me it's time

It's forever, this time I know and there's no doubt in my mind
Forever, until my life is thru, girl I'll be lovin' you forever

I only hope that when Ted makes sweet, sweet love to me in the back of some abandoned Camero, he whispers these timeless words into my waiting ear.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am truly glad that we consulted Laura, an honorary Mike, about the poetry of the Rolling Stones. Dear God, she she is skilled at semiotic analysis AND at demonstrating the intertextuality of EVERYTHING, which incidentally, is her mantra.

2:42 PM  
Blogger MikeP said...

You are just impressed that she worked KISS into the conversation.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I know that you will be impressed when I find a way to work KISS into the Mike page. It seems unthinkable--impossible...but I see it as a challenge. Until then...

12:05 PM  
Blogger MikeP said...

NOw it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. When will KISS appear here?

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home