Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Rhetorically Speaking


Because we probably won't find any Michaels among the ancient Greek philosophers, let me offer Michel de Montaigne as the founding Mike for our rhetorical branch. Afterall, what is a blog, if not an essay* at explaining the world?

* ETYMOLOGY:
French essai, trial, attempt, from Old French, from essayer, to attempt, from Vulgar Latin *exagire, to weigh out, from Late Latin exagium, a weighing : Latin ex-, ex- + Latin agere, to drive; see
ag- in Appendix I. V., from Middle English assaien, from Old French assaer, assaier, variant of essayer.


3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Michel Foucault is a fun one to investigate if you're looking for Philosophers

3:59 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Great suggestion Kim (AKA "Anagram Mike")! I've gotten my brain tangled up in Foucault's thoughts on several occasions.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Interesting that you present the origin and meaning of the word essay(er). I just assigned my Comp I students the task of looking up the meaning, then reflecting upon how that meaning might change their perception of what they are being asked to do when they write an essay...

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home